Tuesday, October 7, 2014

9 and 1



One of the defining moments of my life occurred on a football field.

 In 1965 Alexander City, Alabama had two school systems, separate but unequal. There was a high school, junior high school, and elementary school for the white kids. There was one school for the Black kids. The Black school was for grades 1 thru 12. The city decided to integrate the high school in 1967 using a system they called “freedom of choice”. For various reasons, few of the Black students ventured across town to the white high school. As for me, although I was only 14 years old, I was well aware of what was happening in the civil rights movement. I read the Birmingham News every day, and watched the national news every night. I could not understand how so many people could be protesting, marching, and dying for civil rights and integration, and when the time came to integrate, nobody integrated! It did not take very long for me to decide to go. My parents did not have any influence on my decision. In fact, they would have talked me out of it if they could have, but I was determined to go.

To tell the truth, there was another reason I wanted to go to the big high school across town. Benjamin Russell High School had a big time sports program. The football team was the heartbeat of the city. Every game was broadcast on the city’s only radio station, and featured each week in the city’s weekly newspaper. The really big games were often reported in the Birmingham News. Their home games were played to full houses in the stadium downtown. I wanted to be a part of that. I wanted to play football, and basketball, and be on the radio and in the newspaper. So, my two best friends and I integrated the high school.

All freshmen played on the school’s junior varsity, and all three of us became starters on what would be the first undefeated freshman team the school had ever had. Our integrated team was a hot topic of conversation on both sides of town, and for the first time, black people and white people were attending the same social event, (that’s what a football game in Alabama is) sitting side by side with a common cause.

Integration in our city was never contentious, controversial, or violent. I think that our freshman football team had a lot to do with bringing both sides of our city together and convincing everyone that maybe we could be one city.

During my junior year in high school the city announced that full integration would take place the following year. The Black high school would be converted to an elementary school. All high school students would attend Benjamin Russell High. This would take place in the aftermath of 1968, one of the most traumatic years in the history of our country. Martin Luther King had been killed. Robert Kennedy had been killed. The inner cities had exploded with riots in the aftermath of Dr. King’s death, The Democratic convention in Chicago tore the city apart. John Carlos and Tommie Smith had galvanized the Black community with black gloved salutes on the Olympic medal stand in Mexico City, and the war in Viet Nam suddenly went sideways with the Tet Offensive, forcing LBJ to decline to run again for the Presidency.

No one knew what would happen when our schools were totally integrated in the aftermath of all of this domestic turmoil. I did know that many of the Black students that were coming to the school that I had attended for three years feared the unknown. I knew that most of them were not academically prepared for what would be expected of them. I knew that many of them would fail.

For our school, the football season started before the first day of class. Our team was now fully integrated, and the influx of athletes from Laurel turned a really good team into a great one. We won our first game easily, electrifying the town. We won again, and again, and again, and again. We defeated the defending state champions, shocking the entire state. Everyone was convinced that we would go undefeated and untied, and go on to win the state championship. The football team was the talk of the town. With all of this going on, the fact that we were fully integrated for the first time was an afterthought.

The last team on our schedule with any chance to beat us was Valley High School, a school located just east of Auburn on the Alabama/Georgia border. It turned out to be a really good game. Each team had opportunities to score but neither did until the fourth quarter when Valley scored. They missed the extra point so the score was 6 – 0. Our team responded immediately and drove the entire field until we found ourselves with a fourth down on the Valley two yard line. We had a play that we ran that no one had stopped all year. We had used the same play to score against the defending state champions earlier in the year, and none of us were surprised when our coach told us to run it again. I had a very important role on that play. My responsibility was to block the defensive end, allowing our quarterback to run around the left side of the line. This time, for the first time all year, I missed the block.

We lost the game, 6 – 0. Valley went on to win the state championship. At the time, it seemed everything else in life that was important had been lost. We had a goal of perfection, immortality. We had worked so hard, so long, laughing together, praying together, eating together, and even showering together. We had endured pain and exhaustion, practice after practice. We had let the whole city down, our parents, friends, and girlfriends. We cried. All of us. Our band members and our cheerleaders cried.

I felt responsible. If I had only made that block….
 I never forgot that play. I never will.

I have a plaque that has hung on the wall of my office for more than thirty years. It is a quote from the great Green Bay Packers coach Vince Lombardi. It says;

“Winning is not a SOMETIME thing,
It’s an ALL THE TIME thing.
You don’t WIN some of the time.
You don’t do things right SOME OF THE TIME.
You do them right ALL THE TIME.
There is no room for second place.
There is only one place, and that’s first place.

 We finished that season 9 and 1. I learned a lot more from the one than the nine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An Open Letter To My Students At Crossland High

Dear Students,           During the nine years I spent as Principal of Crossland High School I had a chance to know thousands of you. ...