Monday, December 29, 2014

A Wonderful Life


On the morning of the fourth day after Christmas, in the year 2014, my friend, Kathy McCormick passed away.


We had known each other for more than ten years. We worked together for more than eight years. I was the Principal, she was an Assistant Principal. She battled cancer for almost five years. I was inspired by her courage and her determination to keep working in spite of the surgeries and evils of chemotherapy.

This morning when I received the first of many phone calls and text messages informing me of her life having passed away, my heart skipped a beat as I reacted and adjusted to what I was being told. I thought of her husband and her children, and all of the many other people that loved her so much. But I have spent a lot of time thinking about death. I have spent a lot of time thinking of my own death, and it is no longer something that I fear. It is not something that I dread. I realize that dying is something that all of us will eventually do. Death is simply the inevitable conclusion to either a life well lived or one that has been wasted. As I thought of the many hours, days, weeks, and years Kathy and I spent working together, I managed a smile. She will surely be missed, but her’s was a life well lived.

Each year during the Christmas Holidays I take the time to watch Frank Capra’s classic movie “It’s a Wonderful Life”, starring Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed. It is a simple but poignant story of a bright young man (Stewart) who defers most of his dreams and ambitions and winds up living what to many might seem a “simple” life. He takes over his father’s savings and loan business when his father dies and saves it from dissolution during the Great Depression. He can’t serve in the World War due to deafness in one ear he received when he saved his younger brother from drowning when they were children. He misses out on a huge business opportunity because he is tied to the family business. He gets married but never goes on a honeymoon because he has to use all of his money to save the savings and loan during the depression.

As the years go by, the savings and loan does relatively well, until Stewart’s uncle loses a large deposit. Stewart realizes that he will be held responsible during a coming audit and will probably go to jail. He becomes so distraught over the prospect that he is on the verge of committing suicide by jumping into a river until an angel on a mission to earn his wings intervenes to save him. The angel convinces Stewart to appreciate life by showing him what the world would be like if his life had not occurred as it had.

George (Stewart’s character) soon realizes his brother would have died as a young boy if he had not saved his life. His brother went on to win the Medal of Honor when he saved the lives of 200 men on a transport ship. The small town of Bedford Falls would have been totally different without the homes that were built with loans from his family’s savings and loan. His wife would have been an old maid. His uncle would have been in an insane asylum. His children would not exist.

Once he realized all of these things, George rushed back home prepared to accept the consequences of the situation, but when he arrived he discovered that his wife had informed his friends about his predicament and the house was soon filled with friends that piled money on a table until the missing money was totally replaced. Of course, this all happened on Christmas Eve, and the angel (Clarence) got his wings.

Each time I watch this movie I have to hold back the tears during the final scene. For some reason, seeing this man realize the importance of his life, how he had made a positive impact on so many people and the town he lived in, and seeing so many people express their love and appreciation for him is personally affirmative. If he had jumped in the river and died, I would not feel the urge to cry. The end of life does not compare to the drama and emotion of the life that precedes it.


Kathy McCormick was an incredible lady. She was dedicated, dependable, loyal, kind, determined, small, and tough. It comforted me to know that she would tell me if she disagreed with me, but she would always do it privately. Sometimes she would convince me to change my mind, but regardless of the outcome, I knew that when she left my office or I left hers, she would do whatever it was I asked her to do to the best of her ability.

Kathy had tremendous integrity. She did not, would not lie or deceive. She cared for and took good care of her students, teachers, and parents. She took care of her Principal.

During the eight years we worked together I never wondered if she would be where she was supposed to be, when she was supposed to be there. During her first year as an administrator I gave her responsibility for the Freshman Class. For the next four years she did everything a parent would do to prepare them for life after high school, and then she graduated them. I immediately gave her the next group of freshmen, and for the next four years, she did the same thing again. I do not know where those 750 young adults are today, but wherever they go, and whatever they do they will always think of Ms. McCormick.


On the day that Kathy told me she had cancer, she was afraid. So was I. I didn’t know what to say. But that was okay. There is a time to speak, and a time to listen. This was a time to listen, so I kept my mouth shut and let her talk. She told me what she would have to do, and what I could expect. We hugged each other. We cried together. I told her she could have all the time off she wanted, but she didn’t want any time off. She wanted to work. As the days, weeks, and months went by, Kathy kept coming to work. I was amazed by her courage and her determination. There were days she would have chemo in the morning and come to work in the afternoon. There were days when I could look at her and see how sick she was, but she kept coming to work. There were times she would walk so unsteadily that I would want to pick her up and carry her to a chair or couch to get her off of her feet, but I knew her well enough to only follow close behind just in case.

I am not immune to grief. Perhaps a moment will occur one day when I will think of Kathy and cry my heart out. I know I will miss her, I already do. I feel great sadness for her children, and her husband too. But I hope that they, like me, will be thankful for the opportunity we had to spend so much time with such a beautiful, loving person.


Now is the time that I am thankful for my faith in God. Now is the time when I am comforted by his grace and inspired by his mercifulness. Go with God, Kathy. When my time has come and gone, I will be happy to testify, that you lived… A wonderful life.

1 comment:

  1. As I watched you speak at Mrs. McCormick's funeral, the tears rolled down my face. Tears of happiness, joy, sadness, and pain. I couldn't help but think of the times Mrs. McCormick and I prayed together, shared scriptures, evaluations, teaching strategies, laughed and cried together before she left. I remember her character--a gentle giant. A woman after God's own heart. A hard worker, a loyal person, a dependable person. Everything you said about her was true. Everyone said the same things about her character.
    After a while, I began to weep. I wept because I thought about the current state of Crossland High School, and thought that the work that Mrs. McCormick, you, myself, and other teachers under your regime did. Things have changed now, and no matter how much I wan it to change, it has not been the same since you left. It is worse since Mrs. McCormick left.
    Before I left the house the morning of the funeral, my morning scripture was Galatians 8:9 "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." You never gave up Mrs. McCormick, and you reaped your harvest. The only way that the work that I have done will be in vain, is if I give up and forget everything that the both of you have taught me. I promise to continue the work that we started. To ensure that every student of color has an equitable opportunity to learn regardless of race, class, or gender. Thank you for being an amazing leader...both of you. Rest Mrs. McCormick. Rest "Sista Girl." Rest Woman of God. You can't crown him until I get there. I love both of you with my whole heart. I pray that my work will speak for me when I die, as your's does.

    ReplyDelete

An Open Letter To My Students At Crossland High

Dear Students,           During the nine years I spent as Principal of Crossland High School I had a chance to know thousands of you. ...